Monday, December 9, 2013

DIY No Sew Ruffle Christmas Tree Skirt

I needed a new tree skirt very badly. I got the tree skirt I have now back in the day when I had a fiber optic Christmas tree. Yeah, wrap your head around that tackiness. 

I loved the monogrammed tree skirt at Pottery Barn, but surely I could create a tree skirt I loved just as much for less than $130. Sadly I have never used a sewing machine, so that limits my craftiness. (One day I will learn, I swear)

After a quick trip to Jo-Ann Fabrics and I was set with all I needed to make my NO SEW ruffle tree skirt. Pssh, no sewing, this has to be easy, right? WRONG!! This was a very tedious and time consuming project. But it was worth it in the end.


Supplies Needed:
  • 2 yards of burlap
  • 2 yards of fabric with a little bit of density to it
  • hot glue gun with hot glue sticks out the butt (seriously, you need a lot)
  • your old tree skirt
  • pins (optional, but it makes life a lot easier)

Start by cutting your strips. I used 3" strips, but it's up to you how big you want your ruffles. If you make smaller strips, you will need  more fabric. When you start cutting the burlap be prepared to have little strings everywhere...in your hair, on the floor, stuck to the dogs butt. Everywhere.


Once you have your strips cut, you can opt to pre-pin your ruffles. I did so only with the burlap. Simply because it was easier to have your ruffles pre-made then to burn off your fingerprints each time you try to hold a ruffle down after hot gluing it. Although if you plan on leading a life of crime after making this tree skirt then go ahead and skip this step.
There is no rhyme or reason to my ruffles...I just kind of did them. I started off thinking I would measure them to make sure they were all the same size, but then I remembered I'm lazy.

Now you are ready to create your skirt. Simply take your old tree skirt and start hot gluing your ruffles to it. Fair Warning: the first layer takes the longest. It honestly took me around an hour for the first layer. It was at this point that I was questioning my sanity. However the subsequent layers go much quicker. If you are able to sew, you can most certainly sew your ruffles on. Why don't you go ahead and brag about it too. But good luck sewing the burlap, I have a feeling it won't be fun.

Alternate your fabrics so it gives depth to the tree skirt. Here is my skirt four layers in. I watched Life of Pi while making my skirt and I cried twice. Once when I burned the crap out of my finger, and once when the tiger was going to die. Poor tiger.

If I haven't scared you completely out of making this tree skirt yet, then let me just reiterate, I would totally do it all over again. Well, I wouldn't watch Life of Pi again, but that has nothing to do with the actual craft.

Once you get done with your skirt you will need to trim all of the loose edges of the burlap. Now remember, this is burlap, and all the 'roughness' of it is part of its charm...so don't go crazy trying to get them all.
Santa better put all my gifts to the side of my tree skirt so he doesn't smoosh it, or he and I may come to blows.

No comments:

Post a Comment