Tuesday, January 28, 2014

DIY Valentine's Day Wreath

I've been sitting on this idea for two years now. Yesterday was the day. I was going down to wreath making town. Ohhh Yeaaahhh.

So what had happened was....I bought a ton of pine cones two years ago after Christmas at Target for 90% off. They sat in my closet for about a year until I had the brilliant idea to paint them all different shades of pinks and reds and make a wreath out of them for Valentine's Day. I painted them, admired how cute they were, and then put them back in the closet for another year before I finally created my wreath. Procrastination? Laziness? The answer is just "yes".

Wire Heart Wreath found at Jo-Anns
Once you get your heart frame you will then need pine cones. Small ones, big ones, round ones, fluffy ones, real ones, fake ones...just lots of pine cones. And paint.
Some of my pine cones came glittered. BONUS!
Now affixing the pine cones to the wreath can be a little tricky. Go ahead and slip on a pair of Patience Pants because you really need for the glue on one cone to dry before you can start gluing another one. This was very difficult for me as I had glue gun in hand and just wanted to KEEP ON GLUING!!! I found that one layer of pine cones was just not enough for me. I needed more fluff to my wreath, so I just started gluing more pine cones on top of the other pine cones.
Only 1 layer of pine cones
Behold! My finished product! Pine cone valentine's day wreath.




17 comments:

  1. It's beautiful! Thanks for (finally) sharing! ❤

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you spray paint or use a paint brush or (I have a friend that used) colored hair spray?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you spray paint or use a paint brush or (I have a friend that used) colored hair spray?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Menards has reasonably priced spray paint. Best bet

      Delete
  4. Ha, I love the "and..." on your interests; that totally applies to me too. Friends call me Granny sometimes :-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. So Cute. http://cowiescraftandcookingcorner.blogspot.ca/2016/01/turn-your-christmas-pine-cones-into.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Going to look for the heart frame. Live in a little town with no JoAnn's or Michaels, so might be difficult to find and will have to wait 'til I get into Vegas. I really, really want to make this but now need to find pinecones I had saved. (May be gone! Have a husband that tosses my things like that!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Going to look for the heart frame. Live in a little town with no JoAnn's or Michaels, so might be difficult to find and will have to wait 'til I get into Vegas. I really, really want to make this but now need to find pinecones I had saved. (May be gone! Have a husband that tosses my things like that!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Use cardboard or use a couple of metal hangers to make a ♡ shape😘

      Delete
  8. Do you really need a frame? Couldn't I just glue the pine cones together?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this idea. Just found the heart frame at Walmart!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dollar Tree has the frames for only a dollar!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would like one of the Valentines wreaths as soon as you can. Diane at dianefelmore@charter.net

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is adorable and love the mixed shades of reds/pinks!

    ReplyDelete